loneoceans labs | 80mm Full Bridge + V1.0 (temporary placeholder page)
The 80mm Fullbridge + is a fully integrated, compact full-bridge system for DRSSTCs and other inverters
The 80mm Full Bridge+ is a compact, full featured yet simple to use general purpose H-Bridge. It is designed for use in all kinds of power inverters, such as in SSTCs, DRSSTCs, high frequency transformer drivers and so on. The board was conceived originally to be a general purpose H-Bridge which would work well for small / medium Solid State Tesla Coils, and consisted only of the bridge section. This Plus version is a revision of the original design and adds on-board bus capacitors, as well as a bridge rectifier, fuse, current-sense transformers and a bus bypass capacitor, for a truly all-in-one system - just grab a coil driver and you're almost done building your coil!
The system also features drop in commercial Gate Drive Transformers - no need to worry about winding your own, and is designed to work with four TO-247 of your favourite transistors. For cooling, all transistors bridge rectifier are designed to be mounted with individual and commonly available 28mm square heat-sinks, and the board was designed to be used in conjunction with 80mm computer fans.
The result is a completely integrated design which works together with an external MMC and driver to form a complete (DR)SSTC. The FullBridge+ works great with the Universal Driver V2.7.
The 80mm FullBridge + system including design, schematics, layout and design are available here under the Creative Commons License.
80mm Full Bridge + V1.0 has the following features
Version 1.0, as of Sept 2017.
These boards are currently being offered as a blank PCB shown as such.
If the boards are sold out, please check this page periodically. I'll be updating this page if there is more in stock. This board was designed as a personal project and may not work with your set-up. Please note this board was designed solely as a personal hobby board, and interfaces with deadly mains / line voltages! I make no claims that the board satisfies any UL, CE or any electrical standards. You will bear all responsibility for using this board correctly and safely in your project with good engineering practices.
Shipping is from the USA to anywhere around the world (not included but usually relatively cheap) starting at $3.50 for regular mail, $8 for USPS Priority Flat Rate and starting at ~$15 for international orders. All prices are in USD.
Contact loneoceans [at] g mail [dot] com for enquiries.
Schematic for the 80mm FullBridge+ is above for reference. Note that the TVS diodes (labeled T1 to T4) are bi-directional transient voltage suppressors and have their schematic symbol incorrectly drawn above.
Layout for the 80mm FullBridge + is above for reference.
These are the recommended components required for using with them 80mm FullBridge+. Components are available on Digikey or Mouser or similar.
Main Board Components
- Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 - Your favourite TO-247 IGBTs or MOSFETs x 4
Recommended options include FGA60N65SMD, FGH60N60SMD, IRGP50B60D1, IRFP460
- GDT1, GDT2 - GT04-111-063-B or P0584NL x 2
- B1 - GBPC-W Bridge Rectifier 600V 35A - GBPC3506W-G - 1
- C1, C2 - Decoupling PP Capacitor - 560V 2.2uF 32x13mm 27.5mmLS R46KR422000M2M x 2
- C3, C4 - Bus Capacitor - 400V 820uF 35mm dia. 10mm LS ESMR401VSN821MA45S x 2
- C5 - Bypass PP Film Cap, 18 x 9mm x 15mmLS, 600VAC 68nF - B32642B0683J x 1
- F1, Fuseholder - Schurter 0031.8211 x 1
and 20x5mm fuse - 15A time lag ceramic (0215015.MXP) or glass (0218015.MXP)
- R1, R2, R3, R4 - Gate Resistors - 1206 package, 5 to 20 ohms depending on your design x 4
- R5 - 10kR 6.5W MMC Discharge Resistor - CW00510K00JE73 x 1
- R6 - 100kR 1W Bleeder Resistor - ASRM1JA100K x 1
- D1, D2, D3, D4 - Schottky Diode DO214AC/SMA - SS14-E3/5AT x 4
- T1, T2, T3, T4 - TVS Diode DO214AC / SMA 26V Bidirectional - SMAJ26CA x 4
- X1, X2, X3, X4 - 5mm Pitch 2 Position Terminal - Wurth 691102710002 x 4
- X5 - 5mm Pitch 3 Position Terminal - Wurth 691101710003 x 1
- CT1, CT2 - Triad Magnetics Current Transformers - CST206-1A/2A/3A for 1:100/200/300 x 2
- Spade Terminals to bus and outputs (optional) - 0.250"
Faston Tab 63839-1 x 4 (and connector 640905-2)
- 80mm computer fan of your choice, pick a 24VDC one for use with UD2.7 driver power supply for example
- Stand-offs of your choice, nylon recommended, 1", mounting holes are big enough for 6-32 or 8-32 threaded stand-offs
- Thermal paste for heatsink to TO247 transistors
- Various mounting screws of your choice and and recommended nylon washers (pick suitable size for your needs)
- Additional stand-offs for mounting assembled system (up to 8 threaded stand-offs, recommended 8-32 thread)
Recommended Heatsinks to use
The most versatile ones are the 28 x
28 x 20mm heatsinks available very cheaply on Ebay. You can also use one
of these 28mm heatsinks for the bridge-rectifier. Another good option are
- 28 x 28 x 20mm heatsinks on eBay
- 37 x 37 x 24mm heatsinks on eBay
The photo on the left shows the common 28x28x20mm heatsinks. These can be used for the IGBTs/FETs as well as the bridge rectifier. You will need to drill and tap holes yourself, typically for a M3 screw. Alternatively you can also purchase ~34x34mm heatsinks for the bridge rectifier, available also on Ebay or Aliexpress. These come with a threaded hole already.
Assembly of the 80mm FullBridge +
Assembly of the bridge is straightforward and easy. It is recommended that the TO-247 transistors be mounted with heat-sinks screwed in place, before soldering down.
Above shows an example of the completed Full Bridge Plus. Note the four 28x28x20mm heatsinks on the TO-247 transistors. I also used a 37x37x24mm heatsink for the bridge rectifier. A 24VDC fan is mounted for cooling of both the transistors and the heatsink.
It is not necessary to cut off the leads of the TO-247s since this arrangement allows easy probing of the gate drive signals etc. For mounting of the PCB, you can use roughly 2" or ~50mm standoffs on the 4 corners. Note that if you do that, be sure to cut a hole below the fan to allow air flow.
Design & History
The 80mm Fullbridge + is an upgraded version of the original 80mm FullBridge which was designed specifically to be a compact full bridge.
Above shows the original 80mm FullBridge design with integrated heatsinks, and shows its size compared to a UD2.7C DRSSTC Driver. The FullBridge+ adds on to this by adding an on-board high power rectifier, bus capacitors, a fuse, bypass capacitors and connectors for an even more integrated design.
For more enquires, please contact me at loneoceans [at] gmail [dot] com.
Back to loneoceans labs. (Updated Sept 2017)